What are the most fascinating things that come to your mind when you hear the word or name “Bihar”? Immediately your mind strikes about illiteracy, poverty, and backwardness. Well enough after reading this article may your mind won’t think like that again and you’re prospective about Bihar must change.
You may know or many of you completely know that Bihar is one of the oldest living places in the world and one of the greatest kingdoms of history. Today Bihar is known as a poor state in India but when you start to know about this state then you find that it is one of the few places in India where one can learn in detail about the rich and tremendous history of Bihar and India. It is one of the places where you can learn and know about the legends of the country and acknowledge why Bihar is known as one of the greatest Magadha Dynasty.
Patna Local Guide is here to tell you everything about Bihar. So let’s read some of the most fascinating and interesting facts about the incredible and blissful Bihar that will change your thought forever about this awesome state of India.
10 Most Interesting Facts You Must Know About Bihar
1. Birth Place of Gautam Buddha (Mahatma Buddha – Buddhism) and Mahavira (Jainism)
It is a real blessing for the land of Bihar that it is the only place in India where two of the most popular saints Gautam Buddha, who is the founder of Buddhism religion and The Mahavira, founder of Jainism religion took birth and prospered. You will feel great to know that the first concept of “Non-Violence” originated from the land of Bihar. Yes, you all of these happened on the land of blissful Bihar. At that time people could not understand the benefits and importance of “Non-Violence” but nowadays everyone is advocating this term to keep peace among the whole world.
2. Bihar is a Significant Center in Vedic Era
If you are not well acquainted with the real history of Bihar, you will be surprised to know that Bihar was once an important center of trade and politics in the world in the Vedic Era. It was in the Vedic period and later when Bihar was considered one of the most powerful kingdoms on this planet. The main regions of Bihar mentioned in several ancient texts were Magadha, Mithila, and Anga. All of these kingdoms have flourished for centuries and rules a bigger part of the whole world.
3. Home of the Oldest Hindu Temples
You may be amazed to know that the Mundeshwari Devi temple, located in the Kaimur district at a distance of 210 Km from Patna is said to be the oldest functional Hindu temple in India. The temple is dedicated to Goddess Shakti and Lord Shiva and thousands of Hindu devotees and tourists come here from every part of the country. According to history, the temple was established in the 2nd century. However, it is commonly believed that the existence of the temple from the period before the Common Era as per the sayings of locals and historians. It is a must-visit location for every history lover or traveler.
4. Land of IAS Officers
It is very proud of Bihar and Biharis that today Bihar is famous for producing the highest number of IAS officers in the nation. This land is known as the IAS factory. Yes, it is really unfortunate that the land of illiterate people is responsible for producing the highest number of IAS to the country in history. As everyone knows that Bihar and Biharis are famous for their hard-working and diligent nature. This is why a very famous quote is always said by anyone “EK Bihari 100 Pe Bhari”.
5. Famous Food of Bihar – Litti Chokha
Litti Chokha is a famous food of Bihar, which is now famous internationally too. Bihar food and dishes are pretty famous all around the corner of the country and abroad too. Litti Chokha, which is a combined dish of mashed potatoes and dumplings filled with sattu that every tourist and traveler visiting Bihar tastes their lip-tasting taste. Other dishes that this historic state is known for include chana ghugni, dhuska, pitha, and kadhi-bari. So any food lover out there, add Bihar to your wish list and visit it as soon as possible. We’ll cover a full coverage of the famous food of Bihar in our next article.
6. Oldest Universities in World and Oldest Famous Education Places in World
The famous Nalanda University, a world-famous and oldest university in history was in Bihar. Located at a distance of 95 Km from the capital Patna. However, the exact evidence to prove his age has not yet been found. According to historical records, the University of Nalanda was founded in the 5th century and flourished for more than 600 years until it was destroyed by Bakhtiyar Khilji, a cruel ruler of the Mamluk dynasty, during an invasion. The university was hugely popular for its large library, which housed thousands of books and documents on various topics. It is said that people from all over the world used to come to Nalanda University for knowledge.
7. Dream Destination for History Lovers
Bihar might be one of the best or first choice for the history lovers as it has a very vast historical records. There are also many historical sites to visit many ancient places, temples, and many more, which might be enough to satisfy the mind of history lovers. Some of the major historical places in Bihar include Mahabodhi Temple – Gaya, Barabar Caves, Sher Shah Suri Tomb, Ruins of Nalanda, and Ruins of Vikramashila.
8. Land of Maurya and Gupta Dynasties
Some of the great rulers and dynasties of the history from this land of Bihar. The great Ashoka, Vikramaditya, and Chandragupta are from Bihar, is known among the greatest emperors of the world?
9. Aryabhata – The Renowned Mathematician
10. Birthplace of India’s First President – Dr. Rajendra Prasad
Bihar is the birthplace of India’s first President Dr. Rajendra Prasad.
Some Other Most Interesting Facts of Bihar are
- World’s longest free Wi-Fi zone.
- Patna is the capital of Bihar and is one of the oldest and continuously inhabited cities.
- The lad of “Bodhi Tree”.
- Bihar is known as “Land of Enlightenment”.
- “Chhath” is the most famous festival in Bihar which is now celebrated not only in the other part of the country, it is now famous in the whole world and people from other countries also celebrate it in foreign places.
- Famous of China Litchi
- Mahatma Gandhi Setu – Longest River Bridge in India
- The birthplace of Guru Govind Singh and Land of holy places for the Sikh community – Takht Sri Harmandir Sahib – Patna City, Patna Bihar.
- Super 30 – Land of Bihar is also famous for producing 30 students for the premier IITs institutions from the Super-30 class run by Mr. Anand Kumar, a famous mathematician.
- Famous for its unique Bihari accent and various languages like Bhojpuri, Angi, Magadhi, Maithili, and many more.
- Bihar is known as the first republic in the world.
- India’s highest stupa – Kesariya Stupa
Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section if we are missing anything then you can feel free to mail us to add new points.